Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Money above quality


This topic was inspired from the happenings with the Petőfi radio, which was an organic part of the last 5 years of my life and was... well how should I say... innovated... upgraded... was given a new face..

Petőfi was the only Hungarian radio I was listening to (the 2. radio I use to hear is FM4 which is an Austrian... how to define... a multi language (English and German) non-pop radio).
It represented a unique program by taking apart various topics from every aspect of life. From literature to science, from religion to philosophy and also music and health care. Of course it is easy to talk about these topics, the difference that this radio made to all the non-existing such radio stations was the preparation of the reporters. Basically every topic was moderated by people who do the job for a few decades knowing the ppl, which can talk about the topics in an interesting way.
For me it was the only program in the mass media, which had still a value.

I remember, I started to hear Petőfi when I was around 17-18 and at that time I was up till 1-2 a.m. Because of the great topics I began t be up till even 3 a.m. Those where beautiful days.

The alternative which is now offered is a non-stop music radio. As it is said for the age from 18 to 39. I have to admit, that the music selection is not a common one from the offer which Hungary's radio stations give, but I believe it will change in 2-3 months as the commercial radios will take some steps towards these music styles.

Of course they want to make a commercial like radio, as they want to sell it.

So I let one tear for the past, for a radio, that was worth listening. (anyway the new laws will destroy the internet radio in the USA). So the radio will be slowly history. I hate to think of it.

Take care!

No comments: