Thursday, May 3, 2007

Symposium about CSR

Here is a link on the basic knowledge: What is CSR?
I will quote the first sentence of it, as I find it contains the main idea:

"Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is a concept that organizations, especially (but not only) corporations, have an obligation to consider the interests of customers, employees, shareholders, communities, and ecological considerations in all aspects of their operations. This obligation is seen to extend beyond their statutory obligation to comply with legislation.

CSR is closely linked with the principles of Sustainable Development..."

Last weekend I was on a symposium about CSR (corporate social responsibility) and enterpreneurship in learning. I was focusing my point of view onto CSR as this topic follows me from my first year in AIESEC. And I believe that this is a topic worth to work with.
Well after my arrival I had several disappointing experiences, starting from the accomodation trough the organisation not even finishing with the chair or the first days agenda. I was looking forward for a conference which is organized on a very high level. Instead I was experiencing a regular conference which we have in AIESEC. Well in my eyes nothing special.

The first positive experince were the delegates from some foreign countries. I love to be in an international community. Or maybe just between new ppl who don't know each other.
The second day was fine, as the company presentations started. I was the whole day on the CSR track. Pontis Foundation, EBBF, ZSE, ABN-Ambro where the presentators who gave a basic idea of what CSR is and how the companies implement it, what projects do they make. I believe that most of the bigger companies already implement CSR in their programs. Some more infor on these organisations/companies:
Pontis Foundation
EBBF
ZSE
ABN - Ambro

And after these presentation we had a manager from the City group, who was having a workshop with us about CSR. He has a lot of practical experience and as CSR is his hobby he does as much as possible to spear the idea of CSR. We had a great workshop from an enthusiastic presentator. I don't want to go into detail. I will try to write some posts later on about my viewpoint on CSR.

At the end of the conference most of us agreed that the biggest problem in Slovakia, and Eastern Europe is the lack of klnowledge about CSR in the society, and that its necesity is not seen.

No comments: